Sweet Ambazham, is native to the Indian sub-continent and is famous as wild mango, famed for its medicinal value. It is a deciduous tree with a medium-sized trunk and thick, smooth, grey, aromatic bark. While the fruit is still firm, the flesh is crisp, juicy and subacid, and has a somewhat pineapple-like fragrance and flavor. It is a compact plant that is ideal for small spaces and can be easily grown in a pot. This is unlike its sour counterpart and is really sweet.
This plant can be grown in pots or big poly bags for several years. It is one of the best fruit plants that can be cultivated on the terrace. The fruits are borne throughout the year and it grows in big bunches. The fruits should be plucked before the fibers sprout and when it turns dark green. The fruit can be eaten as delicious direct edible and can be used for pickles chutney and even for a fish curry.
- Sweet Ambazham tree is a medium-sized tree that can grow up to 15 meters (50 feet) in height.
- The fruit of the tree is oval-shaped and typically about the size of a small apple.
- It has a greenish-yellow skin that is rough and slightly fuzzy, with a hard, woody seed inside.
- It has a sweet and tangy flavor, similar to a combination of pineapple and mango.
- Good source of minerals and vitamin C.
- Maintain healthy bones and teeth.
- Helps to prevent heart disease.
- Rich in antioxidants.
- Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Increase endurance, prevent mature aging.