Sidhu jackfruit is a famous, highly nutritious jackfruit variety from Karnataka. It is highly suitable for homesteads and commercial cultivation. The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi awarded Siddu as the best jackfruit variety in India. The fruit is sweet, firm, and has a pleasant aroma.
The well-known unique variety of jackfruit, with coppery red flakes, are not only tasty but also have a high nutritive value. It is grown by 40-year-old SS Paramesha of Chelur village in Karnataka’s Tumakuru district.
- According to IIHR scientists, the Siddu jackfruits have health benefits due to its high lycopin content of 2 mg per 100 gm of pulp, as against 0.2 mg in normal varieties. It is also rich in anti-oxidants.
- The shape of the tree is broadly pyramidal and it is classified under small-sized fruits.
- The weight of fruit is around 2-5 Kg.
- The estimated yield is around 1098 Kg per tree.
- A rich source of vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and some other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Jackfruit seeds may help reduce levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
- Raw jackfruit helps in type 2 diabetes.
- Jackfruit is a rich source of antioxidants, that are essential for a healthy immune system.
- It contains substances with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that may also help promote wound healing.