Pathamuttam is known as the Red Jack of Kerala. Pathamuttam Varikka is a super sweet, red flake jack fruit variety native to Pathamuttom, a village in the Kottayam district, in the Indian state of Kerala. The orangish red flakes are very crunchy and sweet. The average weight of the fruit is 15-20 kg. Red fleshed jackfruit is very rare in Kerala and other jack growing states.
- Most of the red flesh trees are seen on dry land areas, receiving rainfall anywhere between 600-800mm, resulting in good aroma, taste, and pulp crispness.
- The average weight of the fruit is 15-20 kg.
- It has be noted that any color shade between yellowish red, light red, light pink to dark red are all categorized by people as ‘red jackfruit’.
- A rich source of vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and some other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Jackfruit seeds may help reduce levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
- Raw jackfruit helps in type 2 diabetes.
- Jackfruit is a rich source of antioxidants, that are essential for a healthy immune system.
- It contains substances with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that may also help promote wound healing.