Aal Maram (Banyan tree), is a large and iconic tree species native to the Indian subcontinent and parts of Southeast Asia. It is a member of the fig family and is known for its aerial roots, which grow downwards from its branches and eventually become new trunks, giving the tree its distinctive appearance. Its leaves are oval-shaped, dark green and glossy, with a leathery texture. The tree produces small, round, green figs that are edible and popular among birds and other wildlife.
In addition to its cultural and ecological significance, the Banyan tree has many practical uses. Its bark and leaves are used in traditional medicine for a variety of ailments, while its wood is highly valued for its strength and durability, making it a popular choice for furniture and construction.
- The Banyan tree can grow up to 30 meters tall and has a wide, spreading canopy that can cover an area of up to 1000 square meters.
- The Banyan tree has a long and rich cultural history in many Asian cultures, where it is revered as a sacred tree and is often associated with wisdom and longevity
- The Banyan tree is known for its aerial roots that grow downwards from its branches and eventually become new trunks, giving the tree its distinctive appearance.
- The tree has large, oval-shaped, dark green, and glossy leaves with a leathery texture.
- The Banyan tree produces small, round, green figs that are edible and popular among birds and other wildlife.
- The Banyan tree is an important tree species in many ecological communities, providing habitat and food for a wide range of animals and insects.
- Respiratory health: In traditional medicine, the leaves and bark of the Banyan tree are used to treat respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, and cough. They are believed to have expectorant and antitussive properties.
- Skin health: It is believed to have antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Digestive health: The bark and leaves are believed to have astringent and antidiarrheal properties.
- Antioxidant activity: The Banyan tree has been shown to have antioxidant activity, which may help to protect cells from oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
- Anti-inflammatory activity: The Banyan tree has been shown to have anti-inflammatory activity, which may help to reduce inflammation in the body and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as arthritis and Alzheimer’s disease.
Thank you AyushKerala for sending me this plant. for so many years I was looking for this sapling.